Happy new year, everyone! Nothing better to start off 2020 than with a quality selection of the best chairs for gaming and computer use under the price tag of 200 US dollars.
TL;DR (just give me the list!)
All good! Here are the top picks for best gaming chairs under 200 USD. We recommend you scroll down and read up on what are the features to look out for, and why these sort of chairs help you in maintaining good posture (and why this is essential)
The ergonomics of sitting down, and why they are important
After spending north of 2400 hours playing video games, yours truly here can vouch for the importance of good posture while gaming. It is IMPERATIVE that one straightens him/herself up (quite literally) when it comes to sitting.
Sitting for long periods of time in sub-optimal conditions can cause defects in posture, back ache, irritability, loss of flexibility, muscle strain, blood flow issues and many other problems.
Therefore it is essential that if one spends lots of time in front of a computer, the chair is something that you can’t skimp on. There are kids today that have developed a hunch as early as 16 years old, due to sitting wrong for several hours every day.
You really don’t want to injure yourself while spending time in front of the computer.
Top features to consider before buying a gaming chair
We want a proper chair that feels good when sitting on it. What makes for a comfortable chair are the following features:
Materials: If you are seriously looking at acquiring a desk chair, you should go for those made out of leather (more expensive) or mesh. When accounting for the amount of time we are going to be sitting in front of a computer, we also have to account for our own body temperature and the climate of our environment. When it comes to chair upholstery, leather is a fabric that is more suited for those who do not sweat that much, or live in cooler climates, whereas mesh is a more breathable fabric, better suited for those that sweat a lot and/or live in hotter climates. Long gaming sessions take a toll in you, stay hydrated!
Ergonomics: the best gaming chairs are adjustable all-around, allowing for customization to your height, weight and body size.
- Height lever: something that almost all office chairs have by now
- Seat pan slider: allows the seat to move backward or forward, relative to the axis of the chair
- Backrest controller: allows the backrest to become more flexible or stiffer, so your lower back can either rest or correct its posture.
Armchair controller: often not considered, but provides extra comfort adjustment as you may want to rest your arms a bit lower/higher than the average manufacturer thinks in their designs.
- Aesthetics: these sure are not as important as the other two above, but given that oftentimes the more featured-packed chairs are also eye-pleasing, style is really a choice that relies on that of the buyer. Flashy designs with myriads of colors are absolutely good, and on the other hand there are lots of simple and classic designs such as an all-black or camel-colored chair.
How to sit properly, and feel better in the process
Ah, evolution. Each stage with the correspondent working tool.
Sitting properly has a lot of benefits that go unnoticed most of the time.
When you sit straight and correctly, you will enhance your mood (posture and body language are mirrors for how one feels at any given moment) as the way you sit determines how tense or relaxed you are, how happy or sad or how energized or overwhelmed. Sitting properly helps:
- Your overall mood
- Your energy
- Your ability to think better and be more productive
Imagine an stressed-out office worker that is two hours away from the deadline to deliver some important documents, and most of the finishing touches have not been yet polished. How do you think he would sit? Probably slouched over his keyboard, clenched jaw and nervous.
He would probably start to think straight if he were to adopt a proper posture while sitting, as this would allow him to breathe deeper and calmer, allow blood flow to circulate throughout his body and oxygen to reach his brain and limbs quicker. This, in turn, would facilitate his capabilities of addressing the issues at hand and deconstructing the bigger problem (deadline approaching) into multiple, smaller problems that can be addressed faster individually (determine the task that takes longer to complete, assessing the order or priorities, then solve each one following said preestablished order).
With that in mind, here’s how you sit the proper way:
- Upon sitting, fall backwards so your back is in constant touch with the entire backrest of the chair. The backrest should support your body, and not rely on your hips and back muscles to keep the latter straight.
- Your legs and upper body should form an angle of 90 to 100 degrees.
- Your feet should touch the ground. Do NOT cross your legs.
- Throw your shoulders back and keep your head straight.
- Your monitor should be at eye-level. This is important as you should NOT have to tilt your head down or up to look at the main screen.
- Your keyboard and mouse should be at elbow-level. Upon laying your arms on the table and hands on the keyboard, your elbow should form a 90 degree angle.
These two sitting positions are different. Can you spot what makes them such?
Our picks: the best gaming chairs under 200 USD
With this in mind, we have crafted a reliable selection of the best gaming chairs currently available, at the time of this post.
Do you have a gaming chair you would like to recommend? How has been your experience? Leave a comment below with your opinion and share this article if you think someone might benefit from it.
Thanks for reading.